Saturday, January 26, 2008

Finished the Landscaping project

It's been over a month since updating this thing and since that time Ive finished the landscaping at my mom's house in La Mesa and have moved to Portland! I'm getting settled in up here, still looking for a job. Below I've posted Photos showing different stages of the yard project. The first one is what it looked like when I started, except there was a hedge running the length of the front of the house, window height, which I removed. Also, all the plants will grow and get bigger and really fill in and it will hopefully look less wood-chippy. :)

















3 comments:

Colin said...

Very neat! I don't know if you want to take the time to answer all this, but:

(1) How did you get the materials delivered? Did you just have a truck drop off the rocks, sand, mulch? and how much did that cost?

(2) Did you consider using a permeable surface under the rocks that would let water soak in rather than run off the property? (Maybe it is a permeable cloth--I can't tell).

(3) Why did you put sand down and then cover it with mulch?

(4) Did you learn to plaster over the holes too? I'm impressed.

Thanks for documenting all this!

peace,
Colin

Mike Thayer said...

The wood chips, and rocks in the side strip were delivered in a big truck. Just the delivery was probably $80 for each of those loads, and the rocks were really expensive( a few hundred maybe.)

I scavenged the streambed rocks from a big rock pile at my dad's house,a few blocks away.

The landscape fabric is permeable so water can soak in but weeds can't grow through it. that's the idea. In a torrent of rain, tho, the water may not soak in fast enough and some might run off. not sure about that.

I didn't use any sand; I think what you are seeing is burlap. I put burlap down on the sloped areas with the idea that the wood chips would hold to it better than they would the landscaping cloth.

and nope, I didn't do the plastering work, that's the guy who did the stucco!

Also to note is that this isn't how I would design my front yard. For example, I really didn't want to use the landscape fabric but for various reasons I did.

Mike Thayer said...

,